Gum disease. It sounds dramatic and serious and maybe the kind of thing you feel you are unlikely to ever experience. But the truth is that periodontal disease is more common than you think and, affecting 9 in 10 people, it can truly happen to anyone.
True, gum disease may be more common as you age, but there are a range of factors that can lead to this condition, which left untreated can fast become a much more expensive and difficult issue to treat.
So, how do you deal with periodontal disease?
First of all – how does periodontal disease come about?
Like we said, nobody is exempt from gum disease and unfortunately, the older you get the more likely you are to suffer from it. The good news though, is that periodontal disease is highly preventable if you know why you’re suffering in the first place.
So, let’s begin by taking a look at some of the most common causes of gum disease:
- A general lack of oral hygiene
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Hormonal changes such as pregnancy
- Poor nutrition
- Certain medications
- Other medical conditions such as diabetes or Crohn’s disease
As specialists in dental implants in Essex, our team have seen a wide range of patients who have struggled to get a grip on their gum disease, often turning to us for help.
Often, there a number of things you can do to improve the health of your mouth – like quitting smoking. However, in some cases, you may not be able to make the necessary changes to prevent gum disease from occurring (such as in the case of pregnancy for example).
What is gum disease?
So, we know why gum disease can develop, but how do you know if you have it? More often than not, gum disease starts with an excess of plaque on the teeth which, if left, can quickly advance into gum disease. This is why regularly brushing your teeth and avoiding things that increase the amount of plaque are advisable.
Plaque left unattended can:
- Harden under the gumline making it much harder to remove and more likely to spread bacteria.
- Cause gingivitis, which is gum disease in its mildest form, often irritating and inflaming the gum tissue.
- Cause periodontitis when pockets develop between the teeth and gums and fill with plaque and bacteria. These infections can lead to tooth and bone loss if left untreated.
Unfortunately, many people don’t deal with their gum disease quickly enough and as a result require more invasive treatment to regain a healthy mouth.
So, how can we help to treat gum disease?
Here at Al-Fa Perio Clinic, we have invested largely in our periodontal therapy, which has led us to become the UK’s leading periodontal clinic, offering innovative laser gum treatment which is less invasive and more accurate than ever before.
Our team are experts in treating gum disease, and our treatment plans are designed to offer long-term solutions that you can feel proud to show off, but what’s involved?
Our treatments for gum disease vary depending on your specific circumstances, but our specialist treatment can include any of the following:
- Non-surgical periodontal therapy
- Non-surgical periodontal laser therapy
- Access flaps and pocket elimination surgery
- Regenerative surgical therapy
- Root resections and hemisections
- Free gingival and connective tissue grafts
- Root coverage procedures
- Crown lengthening
- Reverse vestibuloplasties
- Supportive periodontal (maintenance) therapy
- Restoration of biological width
- Splinting and splinted bridges
This exhaustive list may appear daunting, but we have found that most cases of gum disease have been fully treatable without the need for surgical intervention – but we encourage you to seek help sooner rather than later.
Don’t put your gum disease on the back burner
Whether it’s nerves, embarrassment or affordability, so many patients come to us for dental implants in Essex as a last resort when the health of their mouth has seriously deteriorated. But, leaving things to develop will only mean that when you finally do seek treatment, you are more likely to require more invasive procedures that could cost more too.
So, why put it off? The team here at Al-Fa Perio have a fantastic reputation for patient care and specialist treatments, and with over a decade in the business, we have pretty much seen it all!
Our team are friendly and our clinic in Essex is warm and welcoming, so why not get in touch? We would be more than happy to discuss your concerns and come up with the best course of action.